Summer puts the spotlight on what’s great about outdoor living spaces: cooling breezes, a scenic view of the garden and easy grilling on the barbecue. Just clearing away backyard clutter and finding a tiny corner of the lawn for a chair can bring a sense of nature’s serenity.
Indoor-outdoor living not only increases a home’s sanctuary and entertainment factors but can also bring value to a residential property if the owner doesn’t overspend.
Demand for outdoor features has risen since the start of the pandemic and 92% of real estate agents recommend sellers improve their curb appeal prior to listing, according to the 2023 Remodeling Impact Report: Outdoor Features from the National Association of Realtors.
General landscaping maintenance, standard lawn care service and tree trimming are the starting points. An outdoor kitchen and patio can recoup their cost with a bump in home value, says the report.
Here’s a sample of Portland area homes for sale that have dining under the stars and so much more:
A contemporary house at 4401 S.W. Greenleaf Drive in Southwest Portland’s Green Hills neighborhood has glass doors in the great room that fold away to an open-to-the-sky patio.
There is also a small courtyard, protected on both sides by exterior walls but without a roof, for seating in front of a two-story fireplace. A covered outdoor dining area has a built-in grill. All overlook more than an acre of mature landscaped grounds.
“Indulge in unparalleled luxury with this meticulously crafted five-bedroom, 5.5-bath estate … on private grounds (that) offer a blend of privacy and exclusivity,” says Annika Laing of Harnish Company Realtors, who has listed the property for sale at $7,295,000.
The retreat-style estate at 9838 N.W. Wind Ridge Drive in Northwest Portland’s West Hills’ Lakota Division has a massive stone-tiled patio that expands the 12,669 square feet of indoor living space.
The 15-acre property borders Forest Park and has views of Mounts Rainier, St. Helens, Adams, Hood and Jefferson.
The custom house is “the epitome of elegant approachability with indoor-outdoor living that marries a traditional aesthetic with natural materials throughout the home and landscape,” says Yonette Fine of Living Room Realty, who has listed the property at $4,980,000.
The 20-acre luxury property at 12955 N.W. Skyline Blvd. in Northwest Portland has an 8,000-square-foot, Country French-style house with a wide wrap-around veranda that overlooks a meadow and woods.
An outdoor kitchen and various dining and seating areas are vantage points to see the sunset and panoramic views.
“An entertainer’s dream … or for the aspiring DIY vintner, equestrian or hobby farmer,” says Shannon Janssen of Coldwell Banker Bain, who has listed the property at $4,195,000.
The C. H. Farrington Estate at 2208 N.E. 28th Ave. in Northeast Portland’s Grant Park neighborhood has an updated 1925 storybook cottage originally designed by architect Carl L. Linde.
Glass doors open to a patio with seating and dining, and the property continues on to a fire pit arena surrounded by Douglas fir trees.
“Impressive yard with immaculate landscaping and mature trees allows for a peaceful retreat on nearly a half acre of privacy, perfect for both intimate and larger gatherings,” says Maria Fitzgerald with Stephen Backer of Windermere Realty Trust, who has listed the property at $4 million.
A Tudor Revival-style estate at 5570 S.W. Menefee Drive in Southwest Portland’s Hillsdale has views of Mount Hood and the Willamette River.
Lounge by the “must-see-to-believe infinity pool… soak in the hot tub … or perfect your short game on the private putting green,” says Drew Coleman of Opt, who has listed the property at $2,849,000.
Others properties for sale with enviable outdoor spaces include:
- A midcentury modern house at 420 S.E. 65th Ave. in Southeast Portland’s Mount Tabor neighborhood has a wall of glass that opens to a garden patio with a gas fire pit, says James DeMarco with LuAnne Dindia DeMarco of Investors Trust Realty, who listed the 0.3-acre property at $2.8 million.
- A gated estate at 1415 S. Military Road in Dunthorpe has an oversized covered outdoor patio with a fireplace, built-in grill and space for lounging and dining, say brokers Christy MacColl and Carrie Gross of Windermere Realty Trust, who listed the 0.72-acre property at $3,750,000.
- A gated estate at 4240 S.W. Fairview Blvd. above Washington Park has a covered outdoor living space with a fireplace and kitchen. Beyond that is a sports court, hot tub, large yard, fenced dog run and play structure, says listing agent Craig Reger of Reger Homes, who set the asking price for the 0.6-acre property at $2,650,000.
— Janet Eastman | 503-294-4072
More real estate news
• Improvements to make and enjoy now that will pay off when you sell your home
• Over-the-top game rooms in Portland homes for sale score big with playful decor
• 1917 Colonial Revival mansion in SW Portland deconstructed, rebuilt and for sale at $1,750,000
• Barbie pink is on the big screen and in Oregon homes for sale. Ready for hot pink pizzazz at your place?
• Lake Oswego waterfront estate on a peninsula is for sale at $9 million
• 2023 NW Natural Street of Dreams home tour offers the latest in design, energy-saving, outdoor living
• What luxury looks like inside Ritz-Carlton Portland’s private homes
• 1906 ‘White House’ on Albany’s historic home tour is for sale at $875,000